Heart Sound Detection Software
Easy to Use Yet Remarkably Powerful
- Rapid Results: Cardioscan requires just a few minutes to perform and seamlessly integrates with the standard auscultation exam.
- Easy to install on your existing computer.
- Recordings can be made by your staff allowing you to review recordings & results when and where it’s convenient.
Designed to support physicians in analyzing cardiac sounds for the identification and classification of suspected murmurs, Cardioscan connects wirelessly to the Bluetooth®-enabled 3M™ Littmann® Stethoscope Model 3200 for easy, real-time analysis.
- Cardioscan follows the standard auscultation protocol and integrates seamlessly with clinical workflow.
- Graphically displays shape and timing of suspected murmurs.
- Enables improved documentation of referral findings.
- Store results on your PC or online for serial studies.
- Review results when & where convenient and play recordings at slow speed to listen more closely.
- Helps you hone your own auscultation skills as you compare the diagnosis with software findings.
- May alleviate concern about misdiagnosing murmurs.
- May reduce unnecessary referrals- limiting stress for patients & their families.
- Use Cardioscan’s display or printed results to better explain your findings to your patients, allay their anxiety or convince them of the need to follow through with additional care.
- Cardioscan can also help document the complexity of auscultations.
Simply install the Cardioscan software on your PC and easily connect via Bluetooth® with your Littmann® Stethoscope Model 3200. Cardioscan now guides you through a standard four-site cardiac auscultation exam. About a minute later, Cardioscan indicates whether or not your patient possesses a suspected diastolic or systolic murmur and whether or not they present a Class I indication for echocardiography referral. One more click and you will view a full analysis of the heart sounds you have captured. A highly informative tool that will quickly become an integral part of your practice. Great for honing your auscultation skills too.
- 95% of cardiologists indicated that Cardioscan would help primary care physicians improve detection of heart murmurs associated with heart disease.*
- According to a retrospective study published in Clinical Cardiology in 2008,** physicians using Cardioscan results reduced their false negative referral rates for heart murmurs by an average of 46% and reduced their rates of unnecessary referrals by an average of 41%.
- * Based on findings from interviews, conducted by 3M in collaboration with Zargis Medical, with interested cardiologists at the American College of Cardiology (ACC) 57th Annual Scientific Session (March 29, 2008 April 1, 2008, Chicago, Illinois). N = 39.
- ** Clinical study conducted in 2005 by Zargis Medical in collaboration with The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The study measured the accuracy of a group of primary care physicians in evaluating a set of 100 recorded heart sounds. The heart sounds were independently evaluated by each physician both with and without access to Cardioscan’s reported findings. Clin Cardiol. 2008 Feb;31(2):79-83. The impact of computer-assisted auscultation on physician referrals of asymptomatic patients with heart murmurs. Watrous RL, Thompson WR, Ackerman SJ.
Powerful Capability. Incredible Simplicity.
Redefining what a stethoscope can do for you.
Sound Quality So Exceptional
You might never go back to your old stethoscope.
The 3M™ Littmann® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3200’s exceptional sound capabilities deliver an exceptional auscultation experience. Clinical evidence shows that it’s easier to detect
difficult-to-hear heart sounds, like S3 gallops, aortic regurgitation murmurs, and abnormal lung sounds. Here’s why:
Proprietary Ambient Noise Reduction Technology
It cancels out, on average, 85% of ambient background noise that can interfere with the auscultation experience, without eliminating critical body sounds. So you’re much less likely to miss the sounds you need to hear in noisy work environments. A full 13% better than previous models.
Acoustic Seal Eartips and Tubing
Not only do our patented 3M™ Littmann® Snap Tight Soft-Sealing Eartips provide a comfortable fit, they also create an excellent acoustic seal, as does our tubing. It means a tighter seal from ambient noise entering through tubing and eartip connections.
State-of-the-Art Sound Sensor
Built to stringent specifications, it provides a life-like 3M™ Littmann® sound experience similar to a high-end cardiology stethoscope. Positioned at the base of the tubing, the sensor brings the sound more naturally to your ears.
Frictional Noise Reduction Technology
A number of changes in the chestpiece help reduce handling noises compared to earlier electronic stethoscopes. It’s less distracting. So it helps you focus more on what you need to hear.
Up to 24X Sound Amplification
Extra listening power for those times when you need it; may be helpful when a heart, lung or body sound is especially faint; when a patient is obese; or when a patient’s clothing restricts your listening experience.
The User Interface You’ve Been Waiting For.
Incredibly simple. Non-disruptive to your auscultation workflow.
Auscultating Patients of Different Sizes
The 3M™ Littmann® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3200 has a flat diaphragm for placement stability, but all sound pick-up happens at the center. So it’s sized right for infants or adults. And the 24X amplification may be helpful when auscultating through the body of obese patients.
Studies comparing non-electronic, cardiology-type stethoscopes and the
With the Littmann® Model 3000 Series Stethoscope...
3M™ Littmann® Electronic Stethoscope 3000 Series had these findings:
83% of cardiologists indicated it was easier to detect/hear an S3 gallop 3
82% of cardiologists indicated it was easier to detect/hear an aortic regurgitation murmur (Grade 1 or 2) 4
90% of critical care nurses indicated it was easier to detect/hear abnormal lung sounds 5 When using a non-electronic, cardiology-type stethoscope vs. the Littmann®
Model 3000 Series Stethoscope...
Cardiologists missed an S3 gallop 40% MORE OFTEN 3
Cardiologists missed a Grade 2 aortic regurgitation murmur 5 TIMES MORE OFTEN 4
Critical care nurses misidentified whether a sound was normal or abnormal TWO TIMES MORE OFTEN 5
Real Life Observations
Why so many clinicians love the 3M™ Littmann® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3000 Series sound experience.
Caution: Federal law restricts this device to sale by, or on the order of, a physician.1 Based on findings from interviews, conducted by 3M in collaboration with Zargis Medical, with interested cardiologists at the American
College of Cardiology (ACC) 57th Annual Scientific Session (March 29, 2008–April 1, 2008, Chicago, Illinois). N = 39.
2 Clinical study conducted in 2005 by Zargis Medical in collaboration with The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The study measured
the accuracy of a group of primary care physicians in evaluating a set of 100 recorded heart sounds. The heart sounds were independently
evaluated by each physician both with and without access to Cardioscan’s reported findings. Clin Cardiol. 2008 Feb;31(2):79-83. The impact
of computer-assisted auscultation on physician referrals of asymptomatic patients with heart murmurs. Watrous RL, Thompson WR, Ackerman SJ.
3 Comparison by trained Cardiologists of the 3M™ Littmann® Model 3000 Electronic Stethoscope with Ambient Noise Reduction to the
3M Littmann Cardiology III Stethoscope for the detection of recorded third heart sounds (S3) in the presence of simulated ambient noise.
4 Comparison by cardiologists of the 3M™ Littmann® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3000 with Ambient Noise Reduction to the 3M™ Littmann®
Cardiology III Stethoscope for detection of recorded murmurs in the presence of simulated ambient noise. 70-2009-7406-4
5 Comparison by critical care nurses of the 3M™ Littmann® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3000 with Ambient Noise Reduction to the 3M™
Littmann® Cardiology III Stethoscope for detection of recorded lung sounds in the presence of simulated ambient noise. 70-2009-7405-6
- Share Cardioscan & StethAssist™ recordings & results with colleagues across town or across the globe
- Access Cardioscan and StethAssist recordings and patient notes from any web-enabled PC
- Highly secure
If you require support with a Zargis product, please email a detailed description of the problem to firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact Zargis at 609-488-4608.